While developing an android app having loads of usage of JSON (actually REST server based), We decided to go ahead with GSON library(I think pretty awesome except following issue).
issue : It worked fine on all android phones (fyi.. tested on few Motorola,Samsung and HTC devices..) except the HTC Explorer(a good Value for money phone as a testing device even for personal usage).
btw, error was in JSON parsing (library).. and While I was trying to run,..YUCK! I was getting a "Force Close" with some type mismatch JSON based error!
The "fix" of renaming the gson package with jarjar did the trick..
If anyone else has this problem, here's a quick solution; (fyi, we are using gson 1.6)
Steps - how-to fix it:
1) Download jarjar (http://code.google.com/p/jarjar/downloads/list)
2) Put jarjar-1.0.jar and gson-1.6.jar in the same folder
3) Create a new text file in this folder (rules.txt)
4) Write the following line in the textfile: rule com.google.gson.** com.google.myjson.@1
5) From the command line, open jarjar with the command "java -jar jarjar.jar process rules.txt gson-1.6.jar myjson-1.6.jar"
6) Replace the gson library in your project with myjson and update the imports
so what was the reason.. OOuch! many of the android devices (probably the HTC, as I observed) use GSON library for internal apps... this is what I know.. not sure :) ..
Droid guys! Stay tuned for more bugs..ah! solutions ;)